Friday, July 25, 2008

The Dream ends

I have resigned from Topbike. My frustrations I have mentioned before, so I won’t repeat them. Let’s just say things weren’t improving. I fail to see why I should be miserable doing what I am meant to enjoy. Worse, if I spent more than three-quarters of my life at work, shouldn’t it at least be tolerable, at worst, and fun at best?

I consider myself lucky to be able to walk away from a job, into another one I like. I have always been blessed in that regard. Not everybody can afford to just walk out. I suppose there is something to be said for finding the endurance to stay on in a job you don’t like. Am I just arrogant? Why won’t I?

I don’t see it as the end of my biking publishing career though. I will just go back to freelancing, as I have done before, but since I am known to the industry now, it will be far easier to get published. I will do the stories for the fun of it, without the under-resourced, ulcer-inducing, anxiety-driven exercises it has become with Topbike. I look forward to having my weekends back for myself, and being able to see my friends more often again. And I will be able to blog regularly again!

On a more positive note, I am leaving on good terms, so I can probably still publish a story in Topbike on the odd occasion. Most of my freelance writing will be for Citibike, a motorcycling supplement for the Johannesburg-based, daily newspaper The Citizen, every Tuesday.

In a weird way, this is still my dreamjob. It will be forever. It’s just that it came at a cost that was too high. And I wasn’t willing to pay that price. Even for my dreamjob. Its a bit like a woman that you love to bits, but when you are together things turn messy – you just can’t get along. See my post 6 month ago.

Going back to freelancing gives me the freedom to publish my own stories when I want, how I want. If I want. It won’t be more than two or three stories a month, and the important factor is that it should be fun. Otherwise there is no point.

Since the Citibike crew has first option on testing new bikes, I will focus on lifestyle features, like trips and events.

I am moving back into trying to save the world (sustainable development), as I have done at the University of Cape Town. It is with ZaGroup (www.zagroup.co.za), a bunch of marketers with heart. My kind of people.

Wish me luck

No comments: