Thursday, July 24, 2008

Honda's gentle cruiser

At the recent launch of the Honda Shadow VT750C, CARtoday.com motorcycle correspondent Patrick van Sleight found that, although the bike was suited to a laid-back “Easy Rider” cruise, its overall character was too subdued.





By Patrick van Sleight





To be honest, I wasn't thrilled to have to spend a day riding Honda's new VT750C Shadow cruiser machine. Unsure about whether it was a symptom of my superbike snobbery or just having to deal with dull Cape Town winters, I made my way to the Honda dealership to sample the cruiser anyway.





At first glance, the Honda Shadow looks like a Harley, but all cruisers do, don't they? Seeing the bikes lined up outside the dealership was an impressive sight. All that black bulk and thick chrome made the low-slung Shadow look imposing, mean and much bigger than a 750.





The cynic in me remained a bit blasé, and I spent more time crossing the showroom floor, admiring Honda's collection CBRs and VFRs...





I thumped the engine to life, and could not solicit a rumble from this machine, which was far too quiet and sophisticated for my liking. As we purred onto the street, I realized that our convoy was a bit of a non-occasion in the heavy mid-morning traffic.



The Shadow's riding position is typically Spartan with only a speedometer, containing a few lights, peering back at the rider. As expected, the saddle is very low compared with the high positioning of the handlebars, which is strangely rather comfortable. The pedals are located far forward and it takes some time to get used to the unusual riding position.



I had heard that V-twin cruisers are synonymous with vibration, but the Shadow struck me as very smooth. Not four-cylinder smooth, but unless you look for it, you'd hardly be aware of the vibration. If you come from the hardcore Harley school of thought, you might not like it, but if you have a Japanese cruiser background or if you are new to cruising, this will hardly be an issue. If you are a re-born biker taking it easy in the autumn of your life, the Shadow is perfect for you since it is extremely user-friendly, perhaps even suitable for the novice rider.



We headed south on a busy M3 highway and I slowly found my groove on the Honda Shadow. This is not a machine to be hurried, and is unlike any machine I am used to. I am a sports bike rider who, with clenched jaw and white knuckles, tames my machine. I live for the rush of adrenaline I feel while riding them and have to thank God whenever I clamber off after every ride.



By contrast, the Shadow is so unobtrusive, I actually forgot about it. I could just sit back, stretch out (literally), and let time pass by. Therapy doesn't come much better than this…



We hit Ou Kaapse Weg, and tackled the twisties, though the tight bends on Chapman's Peak rammed the "cruiser" point home. The superbike demon in me wanted to break loose, but the pedals decked out early in a flashy display of sparks and I settled down instead to take in the scenery.



V-twins are more about torque than power, and overtaking - in any gear - was a breeze. For me, V-twins are also about the sound. Shifting down while blipping the throttle was am enjoyable experience, even if the bike is somewhat quiet. Honda SA attributed this to the stringent emissions legislation in the US, but I think the bike desperately needs some free flow pipes to give it much-needed presence on the road.



Despite its refinement, I already craved more grunt from the Shadow after my short stint on the bike. A Shadow 1100 may be on the cards early next year, Honda revealed. For now, its only cruiser in the market, at R72 200, is pitted against the Harley XL 883 Sportster Standard (R71 000), Moto Guzzi Breva V750i (R65 000), Kawasaki VN800 (R65 000), Suzuki VZ800 (R68 00).







Specifications:



Engine: V-Twin, liquid-cooled, four-stroke
Capacity: 745 cm3
Bore x Stroke: 79 x 76 mm
Compression Ratio: 6:1
Valvegear: SOHC with three overhead valves per cylinder
Fueling: Two 34 mm VE-type carburettors with throttle position sensors
Transmission: Five speed gearbox with shaft final drive
Suspension: Front - 41 mm conventional cartridge forks; Rear - Dual hydraulic shock absorbers adjustable for pre-load at rear
Tyres: Front - 120/90-17 tube type; Rear - 160/80-15 tube type
Wheelbase: 1 645 mm
Seat height: 660 mm
Fuel capacity: 14 litres
Dry weight: 239 kg



First published on www.cartoday.com
15 September 2005

No comments: