Friday, July 25, 2008

What have I learned

A friend asked me what am I taking away from this job? I haven’t thought about it until then. I said I would have to think about it.

The first thing that jump up is negative I am afraid. I have always vowed to never work for a big corporation. I lost sight of that vow for my dream job. I leave TopBike with the sense that everything I was told, assumed and read about corporations are true. Soulless, uncaring places where only a particular kind of person thrives that I better not mention. I need a more supportive, creative and dynamic environment, and for most of it, I was always able to work in such a place. Of course, not all corporations are heartless, but they sure are not plenty around.

What have I learned? Of the top of my head, that things are not what they seem. It seemed like a glamorous job, riding bikes all day long. Truth is, riding bikes is a very small part of the job. What you see in the magazine is the result of a lot of cursing, swearing, begging and threatening. And no, not the people who’s bikes it is, the people who pay your salary. From the first day I walked in it was a battle to get resources and support to do my job. And it only got worse as time went on.

It is impossible to make people understand why I leave, because they are blinded by the glamour. From my side, there is no glamour. It is simply a perception.

What was the highlight of my 18-month stint at TopBike. Without a doubt, that 8-day sprint on Jonway 250cc scramblers through Namibia and Botswana. It is the best trip of my live. Period. I consider myself fortunate, because it is such an unlikely adventure, no one else will ever do it, least of me again.

And the worst? That silly day on the mini-moto bike. Racing, crashing, being last. It was horrible. I wanted to pack up and go home. My thumb is still sore 6 months after the crash.

I am glad I had the chance to do my dream job. Otherwise I would forever wonder what it would have been like. Now I know. The myth is gone.

No comments: