Monday, January 21, 2008

A long overdue update

I have neglected my blog. I don’t think anybody still checks on it. Who would, if nothing gets posted. I just lost the time and energy.

Is my dream job getting the better of me? At some point I went through three months without a weekend off. Not a problem for a workaholic like my French colleague, but if you are a lazy hedonist like me, it can get tiring. My friends wondered what happened to me, as they didn’t hear from me or saw me for so long. It is still unusual to be at home on a weekend, although it is beginning to become more frequent over the holiday season, since we have become less busy. Needless to say, updating my blog was the last thing on my mind.

February I will be a year at TopBike. I will have to stop referring to it as my “new” job. But it is perhaps a good time for reflection. (Note to self: a Sowetan journalist got fired for saying bad things about his company on his blog, so watch your step!).

I still enjoy my job (I get ostracized for referring to it as a job). What I have to complain about is the company, and its people. We faced closure recently; and it – in my opinion – has a lot to do with people in positions of responsibility either unable or unwilling to do what it takes to make the magazine fly. Perhaps, we are too small to be effectively accommodated by the workings of such a massive bureaucracy as Media24. We need quick reactivity in this business, and the chain of command doesn’t allow for that. Add to that the needs of a number of magazine titles any given manager has to worry about, of which TopBike is never a priority.

After more than a year under Media24’s wing, many bikers still don’t know we exist, and those that do, struggle to find TopBike on the shelves. As a brand we are weak; people know they have seen my face in a bike magazine, and they usually think it is Bike SA! General feedback from readers, importers and advertisers is that we are the best magazine on the market. But still we faced closure. It is sad that magazines less respected than us are able to stay on the shelves.

Along with an equally slimmed down TopCar magazine, we are the only titles in the company’s motoring stable left. First to go was TopDeals, then TopMotor, and recently, MaxPower. Are we lucky, or we just on borrowed time. The company has obviously misjudged its ability to be a force in this market segment.

My esteemed French colleague finally left to join the competition (Twowheels magazine); tired of fighting and not getting the support he needs to get the job done. He won’t be replaced. We are slimming down; the next best thing to do if you cant bring in money is to spent less. This also means I will not go on those fancy trips anymore. I test bikes within Gauteng from now on. The magazine is thinner now, and we will reduce the cover price. Is this enough to pull us out of the red? Time will tell.

Philippe used to do this job on his own until I came. Will I be able to do it on my own? I feel confident. I hope I am not naïve. Again; time will tell.

I cannot really think of anything else I want to do. This is still it. But the honeymoon is clearly over.

No comments: