Thursday, December 07, 2006

To greet or not to greet

Are these the same punks that pull up next to you at a redlight in their one-piece racing leathers, barely glancing in your direction? Or if they come the other way, making me feel like a *bleep* because they couldnt be bothered to return my greeting? And they inevitably, almost always ride a late model superbike?

Are these the sunday riders? I cant believe they consider themselves to be bikers?

Riders on older bikes are much more friendlier on the road.

Superbikers take themselves way to serious.

But it seems to be a general trend. Other bikers complain of the same thing. My personal view is that so many people buy bikes these days for weekend fun only, it is not really about being a biker in spirit and lyfestyle. For them it is the same as having a boat that you take out on an off-weekend. So there is a lot more of them on the road; hence a lot more guys (not bikers!) on the road that does not acknowledge you. The result is that I stop greeting as well. I dont want to continue to feel like a twat; swearing inside my helmet. But I always return the odd, rare greeting.

Get stuck next to the road and see how many bikers stop. In my case (with my decript Katana), non. On a few occasions. Why?

Then there is the thing about expensive bikes; Harley's, Ducati's, BMW's, etc. Or superbikers, cruisers and old bikes in general. They only greet you if you are on a similar bike. Seems like bikes devide more than they unite these days.

I always say having a bike doesnt make you a biker.

So is the real bikers gone?

No comments: