Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ride. Because kids need heroes

My bike attracts a lot attention- which does wonders for my ego. People that wouldnt give me the time of day otherwise comes up for a chat. “Nice bike, bru...”

“How fast does it go?” is the more annoying one from the younger generation. Then they oogle at the speedometer, see 300kph, and go all big-eye. I dont have the heart to tell them, that, on a good day, on a long downhill with a strong tailwind and a bit of guts, I`ll be lucky to break 250kph.

But thats bikes for you. The association with speed is instant and eternal.

What i really dig though are the small kids going crazy, crawling all over me. I am not particulary good with kids, but getting them to sit on my lap and basically just wanting to hang-out with has no comparison. I am their unqualified friend for life.

That is what biking does to kids. In traffic I always notice them in the surrounding cars craning their necks to keep me in sight until I dissappear. Even as young as 18 months. And that includes girls.

I hope they never grow up.

No comments: