Friday, November 03, 2006

To crash or not to crash

So, I almost had an accident tonight. Remember those? Accidents? They seem to become less with time.

Its been a long time since I had a near-crash even.

Truth is, I never take it for granted that I will stay safe on my bike. The reality of a crash rides with me all the time. It doesn’t stop me from being stupid and arrogant on the road though. Knowing I might crash doesn’t mean I ride safe and considerate all the time. How insane is that?

Anyway, I had to get to a meeting. In fact I wanted to cancel because of the sudden wet weather. But I decided to be a good boy. And my friend will be there with her bike too. I know she does not have a car as well. After all, I’ve been riding in the Cape of Storms for years now.

Bloody rain! My glasses were wet and helmet fogged up inside. Winter is supposed to be over! It’s night-time and the street-lamps were reflecting of the wet tarmac. I couldn’t make out the painted lanes or even where the sides of the road begin or end.

The next moment the curb at the side of the road were heading straight for my front wheel. Where did the curb came from?

Who the hell crashes into a curb? Lots of people I suddenly remembered. A few weeks ago I was in the Ducati workshop where a yellow 750SS was on the work-bench with a bent frame. Curb. Rider was recovering in hospital. In Paarl a few months ago someone died crashing all on his own. Hit the inside curb of a traffic circle. I remember being smug about it; how stupid do you have to be to hit a curb.

I was about to find out. That curb came at me from a weird direction. I had no idea where I was heading. My sense of direction was gone; I was riding blind.

I swerved. And rode on. At least now I know where on the road I was.

Bloody rain! This is why I want a car!

I had the presence of mind not to brake.

In that split second before the spill; I could see myself lying in the wet, surrounded by bits of broken fairing panels.

I don’t know how that happens; but those milliseconds before the crash, I can sometimes see where I will end up. It’s happened before with crashes and near-crashes I had. And that image of the aftermath is enough to spur me into avoidance – almost as if I have a choice; am I going to let this crash happen tonight?

And there were times I allowed it to happen; becoming paralysed and fixated on the target I am about to hit.

It all happens in milli-seconds at speed. Yet, time slows down. And I am left with a choice.

You know what? I actually don’t have to crash. Not tonight. Weird. But it seems to work.

How can there not be a higher power looking after me?

I thank my higher power when I get home safe. I’ve stopped taking my safety for granted a long time ago.

When I remember (which is often these days), I ask my higher power to keep me safe before I ride off.

And then I go and ride like a twat a lot of the time. I stay safe inspite of myself.

Luck? I don’t think so.

No comments: