Thursday, October 26, 2006

First rides

Just got back from giving the young Mkhuseli his second ride on a bike. I gave him his first two weeks ago. He is thrilled. He wants a bike now!

This is the first bike that I have that I had so many pillions with. I don't know why, but for some reason, everybody who sees the bike wants a ride. From big old auntie's to young kids. This never happened with any of my other bikes.

This is Adele in the pictures. After years of threats and promises I finally got around to give Adele her first ride. We went around the Cape Peninsula. Next weekend we are tackling a much longer ride up the west-coast.

Breakfast in Houtbay, and the busy girl's phone never stops bugging her!


Slangkop; the weather conspired to make it a memorable ride.


Do you think she is enjoying herself?

This coming weekend, however, it is Sonje. It is literally also years that I have been promising her now. Don't know where we will go, but we'll see. It is actually much more fun not to plan a ride.

I gave Thandi her first ride ever on a bike last week, and there is also a long ride coming with her as well. I was hoping to take her on the Pan-European as well. I haven't told her yet I am no longer getting the Pan-Euro...

What exactly is it about bikes? Look at the way kids (including small girls) respond to them? And why does that change when we grow old?

With the risk of being arrogant, I hope I keep alive the dream and realisation that those boxy things with four wheels and mortgages aren't all there is too live for.

Biking reminds us we don't have to settle for the mundane and routine; that the young toddler staring wide-eyed at a passing bike is alive and well in us - and still waiting to get his ride!

No comments: